Make an easy sunshine gift basket or box of sunshine with these fun (and yellow!) ideas. Plus, a free printable sunshine gift tag and a “sending you sunshine” greeting card!
I’ve been a little absorbed in my own world lately, so I thought I’d make a couple gifts to send some “sunshine” to a few friends and neighbors that I haven’t seen or talked to in awhile.
These gifts are the perfect little pick-me-up for a friend who might need some extra cheer or simply a hello from you!
Keep reading for all the yellow items you’ll want to include, and don’t forget to grab your free printable tags and/or card below!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Box of Sunshine Gift Ideas
I love putting together themed gifts! Having a theme actually makes this super easy to do, even if you think you’re not very crafty.
These DIY gifts don’t have to be terribly fancy or expensive–just snag a couple items in the checkout line of the grocery store and tie on the printable tag below! Or, if you want to go even simpler, just print out the card and mail a quick message to someone instead.
If you’re looking for a more elaborate gift box or care package, just search “sunshine gift” on Pinterest for about a million more ideas–there’s some really cute ways you can decorate a “box of sunshine.”
Looking for more DIY gift ideas? Check out these related posts:
Yellow Items to Include in a Sunshine Gift Basket: the Ultimate List!
For the brightest, happiest sunshine gift, you’re going to want your items to have mostly yellow packaging. I would just scan the aisles of your grocery store (or Walmart) for anything yellow that’s the right size for your basket or container (I found my containers at Hobby Lobby in the spring clearance section for just a few dollars, but scroll down for more ideas).
If you’re stumped for yellow ideas, I’ve compiled the super handy list below.
*Note: I am not affiliated with any of these brand names
Yellow Candy Ideas
- Peanut M&Ms
- Mr. Goodbar
- Brightside Skittles
- Juicy Fruit gum
- Pineapple Twist Trident gum
- Cool Lemon Ice Breakers Ice Cubes
- Banana Laffy Taffy
- Ferrero Rocher
- Swedish Fish
- Lemonheads or lemon drops
- Lindt Lindor white chocolate truffles
- Fruit Gushers
- Pineapple Fruit Roll-Up
- Yellow Peeps (seasonal)
- Whoppers Robin Eggs (seasonal)
Yellow Food Ideas
- Lay’s potato chips
- Golden Oreos
- Lorna Doone
- Vanilla Wafers
- Wheat Thins
- Keebler cookies
- Lemon Jell-O
- Corn Pops cereal
- Velveeta shells & cheese
- Lemon/yellow cake or muffin mix (see my tips below if you’re making a housewarming gift)
Yellow Drinks and Drink Mixes
- Crystal Light
- Sparkling Ice
- Pineapple Fanta
- Herbal tea (see my tips below if you’re making a get-well gift)
Yellow Non-Food Ideas
- Nail polish
- Burt’s Bees chapstick
- Carmex lip balm
- eos lip balm
- Mrs. Meyer’s honeysuckle hand soap
- Pack of Kleenex
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet Ones wipes
- Smiley-face stress ball (I’ve found them at Dollar Tree before)
- Small toys
- Subway gift card
- Post-it notes
Yellow Decor Ideas
- Sunflowers, daisies, or other yellow flowers (I just popped a few buds off a cheap bunch of flowers I got at Michael’s on sale)
- Paper or felt pinwheels (attach to a straw or wood dowel, or tape/tie to the container)
- Yellow tissue paper for filler
- A gift tag–like the free printable below!
Yellow Container and Basket Ideas For a Sunshine Gift
The first places I usually look for simple gift containers are Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Dollar Tree (you could also try Joann, Walmart, or Amazon). You may have better luck finding bright yellow containers in the spring/summer as they’re sometimes a seasonal item, and of course it totally depends on what type of container you’re looking for and what size.
Here are a few ideas I’ve found:
- These small metal buckets from Hobby Lobby (sometimes Hobby Lobby also has bigger solid-colored buckets in their party section, but I can’t remember if they have yellow)
- Dollar Tree has yellow kraft paper bags (decorate with stickers or vinyl, or simply tie a cute ribbon bow around the handles)
- Dollar Tree also has a variety of storage bins like these—no, they’re not yellow, but get a white one and Mod Podge yellow paper or fabric to it, or hot glue yellow flowers to it, etc.
- Amazon has a few yellow basket options but they tend to be pricier (but it may be worth it depending on your recipient—this basket would be adorable for a baby shower sunshine gift)
- These favor boxes would be great if your gift is relatively small (or these popcorn containers)
- These buckets from Oriental Trading would also work for smaller gifts (they also have yellow cupcake, popcorn, or favor boxes)
- This small gift bag is kind of perfect for a sunshine gift, but a little pricier (it only comes with one)
And if none of those ideas are working for you and you can’t find anything local, try these ideas:
Recycle a kitchen container (oatmeal canisters, cookie tins, original flavor Pringles cans, etc.) by washing and drying it, and Mod Podging yellow paper or fabric to the outside. Then, tie a yellow ribbon around it or put a yellow gift bow on the lid. Or Mod Podge any other container, like the plain ones from Dollar Tree I mentioned above. (Now that I think about it, a yellow Nesquik container would be perfect for a sunshine gift! My DIY gratitude jar was made from an old Nesquik container!)
Spray paint a wicker basket yellow, or even keep it the original color and weave a yellow ribbon through it and tie a bow (check out how I quickly dressed up my get-well gift basket with ribbon).
Decorate a simple cardboard box with scrapbook paper and embellishments, then line it with yellow tissue paper.
Add more pops of yellow to any container by adding stickers or vinyl, flowers, tissue paper, or ribbon.
Think outside the box for your gift container (no pun intended). You may find that a purse, beach bag, storage cube, or even tumbler is the perfect way to gift all the yellow goodies to your recipient.
Free Sunshine Printables
This gift tag measures about 2″ by 2″. If you have a circle scrapbooking punch, that will be perfect for cutting this out! Or, you can cut it out with scissors or use your fancy Cricut if you have one.
And, because I suffer severely from “mom brain,” I just barely realized my pictures show two different versions of this tag. So, here is version 2 with the lowercase text in case you prefer that one:
This “sending you sunshine” greeting card measures 8.5″ x 5.5″ unfolded (half of a regular sheet of paper) so once it’s printed, you’ll need to crop it down to those dimensions with a paper trimmer. This card fits in an A2 size envelope.
Tips for printing: make sure your printer is set to borderless printing and scale 100%. Feel free to contact me or leave a comment below if you have any issues!
Ideas to Personalize Your Sunshine Gift
This gift is great for just about any recipient, but I’ve listed a few ideas below to personalize this even further. You can include any items you want (I would honestly just go to that department in Walmart and search for anything yellow I might want to include), but these are some ideas to get you started.
If I don’t specify that the item is yellow, just assume that it is!
For a get-well gift:
For a housewarming gift:
cleaning supplies (lemon-scented options often have yellow packaging), sponges, Dawn lemon dish soap, dish towels or cleaning cloths, citrus squeezer, silicone whisk, silicone spatula set, yellow/lemon cake or muffin mix, oven mitts
For a baby gift:
For the gardener:
For the crafter:
How to Make a DIY Sunshine Gift
And there you go! These sunshine gifts are super easy to put together and are a thoughtful, cheerful surprise for a friend!
What do you think? Did I miss any yellow items on my list? Tell me in the comments below!